Thursday, April 12, 2007

happy birthday, school

“God, what’s most silly about human beings?”

God answers, “That they want to grow-up when they are young, and yearn to go back to childhood when they grow-up”.

These lines scrolled in my mind when I stood in front of the primary school where I’d studied. When I was studying in this school, I wanted to get out of it as soon as possible. Does any student ever understand true meaning of saying “student life is golden life”? No.

This visit invoked lots of memories. I still had slight hesitation to go into the room, which had the board ‘Staff Room’! But I had to go in to meet the Headmaster of the school. As I went in-and-out of other classrooms, I noticed that much hadn’t changed for the school. If I’d looked closely, I would’ve probably found one of those great works of mine, which I’d carved on the desk.

I also got reminded of the teachers we had that time. My favorite was the Headmaster of our times, Annappa Rao. He used to teach English. I still have that sweet taste of chocolates in my mouth, which he used to give to us when we got spellings of the all the words he dictated right. I think I remember the grammar rules he taught us with examples. He used to have pieces of coconut and jaggery with him always, which he used to put in our mouths. We used to pull his shirt, and say “kathe hELi sir”… the request he always honored. I hope I get to meet him some day.

The school is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Hope it stands tall for many more years to come, and produces great students like me ;)

No comments: